<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

these are the memes of our lives... 

Once more the talented and gorgeous GraceD has charged me with continuing the meme daisy chain. Because, in her words, "... any meme I will get she will get it too. Like a blog STD or something. Eeeuuw."

Um, thanks? I think? Well, at least I'm fabu.

Now, on to the meme!

(Wow, you would think a book meme would be easy for me, but it's actually kinda hard. Huh.)

You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book would you want to be?

I have an alarming confession to make: I've not yet read Fahrenheit 451. I know what it's generally about, as I haven't been living in a cave since birth, but when I read this question I had to figure out the answer by the context of Grace's answer. And by going over to Amazon and checking out the book description.

So, my answer: damned if I know. As is always the case, there are just too many to choose from. So I'll go with my first instinct - 1984 by George Orwell. I read it as a high school senior in 1984 and it had a tremendous impact on my way of thinking about government and the world, history and my fellow humans. When I closed the book, all I could do was sit back and stare at the wall, for my mind had just truly been blown. And then I cried like a baby. Can't ever let go of that book. Ever.

Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?

Oh my, yes. Though the crush is not as keen as it was in my youth, it's still there: Sherlock Holmes. I know, I know. Not exactly the "sexiest" fictional male to be crushing on, but I've always found men who think logically and critically very sexy and that can be traced back to my girl-school crushes on Sherlock Holmes and Spock. Maybe that's why I now seem to have a thing for Jewish atheist/agnostic boys. *groowwll*

The last book you bought is:

Hard to say, as I brought home an ass-load of books from Tuscon in February. So I would say the last one I actually picked up from the counter is In Memory Yet Green: The Autobiography of Isaac Asimov, 1920-1954. I'm looking forward to reading it soon.

The last book you read:

I read Boys and Girls Together by William Goldman and Fear of Flying by Erica Jong simultaneously. Both very interesting in their own ways. And I just wanted to write down a ton of quotes from Fear of Flying, which I guess means I identified with it on some level.

What are you currently reading?

Mildred Pierce by James M. Cain. Just started it today. It's part of the same haul of free books in which I got the two books above. I think I'll go through it pretty quickly.

Five books you would take on a desert island:

I do so hate to be forced to choose. *sigh*

1984. Because, well, see above.

The Princess Bride by William Goldman. I've written before about my love of this book. Hilarious and beautiful and heart-wrenching all at once.

The Complete Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle. I've been a Sherlockian since I was twelve years old. I'm still a Sherlockian. I try to re-read the entire Canon every few years, to remind myself how terrific these stories and novels are and thank heavens they're all collected in one volume! Sherlock Holmes just rocks.

Catch-22 by William Heller. Another book read when I was an impressionable senior, I actually picked it up because at the time I had a crush on Art Garfunkel (oh, shut up) and I knew he had been in the movie version. I had a tough time getting into the book but once I got past the first chapter I just flew through it. Man, what an excellent book.

The Hotel New Hampshire by John Irving. Another book that blew my mind and made me wonder why I'd never read John Irving before. I laughed and cried and stared at the wall when I was done, trying to absorb all of those incredible words.

(Because I can't leave it at five, two honorable mentions: America, The Book by Jon Stewart, et al. and Why Girls are Weird by Pamela Ribon. The first taught me interesting facts and made me laugh. The second had me run the gamut of emotions, and in a very good way. I'd read it three times in less than a year. Just terrific books all around.)

Who are you going to pass this stick to (3 people) and why?

Even though she's lucky enough to be in Mexico right now, and so this will have to wait until she returns, the stunning and newly-employed Beth of Diary of a SubUrban Housewife.

The most fabulous Jim from The Meat of the Matter.

He of many fantastical tattoos, Stan, keeper of Stan's Obligatory Blog

Have fun, you crazy kids!



Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? www.blogwise.com Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Listed on BlogShares Free Image Hosting at ImageShack.us

Registered!
Listed on LABlogs.com

Carol/Female/36-40. Lives in United States/California/Los Angeles/San Fernando Valley, speaks English. Spends 40% of daytime online. Uses a Normal (56k) connection.
This is my blogchalk:
United States, California, Los Angeles, San Fernando Valley, English, Carol, Female, 36-40.

Google
WWW all the fun of the fair...