<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, November 16, 2006

okay, i'm highly skeptical... 

...but wouldn't this be cool, if it were true?

Such cute little dotties!

*************************

One of the books I'm currently reading is Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle (the other is The Android's Dream by John Scalzi - good book, as usual - go buy it). I recently finished - after about a billion days - Space by James A. Michener.

(A little background about my relationship with these authors first: the first "hard science" SF book I'd ever read was The Mote in God's Eye by Niven and Pournelle and I fell in love with it, thereby cementing forever the certainty that I would read anything by Niven or Pournelle, but especially their collaborative efforts.

As for Michener, I'd never been interested in reading his stuff, as I forever associated his name with epic TV miniseries, the like of which tended to not appeal to me. But I picked up Space from the free book box in front of the bookstore by my old apartment and was drawn into it by its obvious historical accuracy - I learned more about the space program from that book than anything I'd ever read. I still may not read Michener on a regular basis [sometimes I found his characters not well-delineated], but at least now I know if he's written about a subject that interests me, I won't be disappointed.)

Both Space and Lucifer's Hammer feature scenes that take place at JPL. I have to admit that it's fun to envision the buildings in which the scenes take place. I've never worked anywhere that was written about in this fashion. My dorky, fame-challenged mind is inordinately jazzed by this.

But it's also a bit disconcerting. Because Lucifer's Hammer is about a comet that passes extremely close to Earth, with huge bits of it hitting our pretty blue marble (that's not a spoiler - it's on the back cover). In one of the scenes the earthquakes that are generated by the impact affects JPL. And the building in which I work is mentioned as being destroyed. It definitely hit way too close to home.

At least I don't live on the Eastern Seaboard, which is completely obliterated...


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? www.blogwise.com Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Listed on BlogShares Free Image Hosting at ImageShack.us

Registered!
Listed on LABlogs.com

Carol/Female/36-40. Lives in United States/California/Los Angeles/San Fernando Valley, speaks English. Spends 40% of daytime online. Uses a Normal (56k) connection.
This is my blogchalk:
United States, California, Los Angeles, San Fernando Valley, English, Carol, Female, 36-40.

Google
WWW all the fun of the fair...