<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

clever title? not today! 

Happy 2006, everyone!

Here I am at my first day of school, trying to whittle away some time until my next class. Actually, I had over seven hours to try to kill, as my morning fitness class ended at 9:30am, my next class isn't until 6:30pm and my new boss isn't up to working today, as he's gone through a tough time recently. And I have no desire to bus all the way home, just to come back again. That's four hours, round trip. So I fiddle and update the political site and check e-mail ad nauseum. And I thought, hey, why not do a little updating here for once? It's not like I'm home, distracted by the promise of interminable daytime programming on cable!

It's 2006 and I, for one, am glad. Not that 2005 was so bad for me. As horrible as it was for many Americans, 2005 was actually one of my better years, at least recently. But I'm all geared up for a crazy busy 2006 and I'm looking forward to it.

Doesn't mean that 2006 started all that great, though. A few weeks ago my mom had a mammogram and a mass was discovered. A few days after Christmas she had a biopsy, the results of which came back two days later - she has breast cancer.

We're all a bit scared here, but luckily it was detected very, very early, so the chances of Mom beating this thing are pretty damned excellent. Also, my family has access to all sorts of resources, thanks to friends and BabySis' recent position with a medical insurer, in which she handled nothing but breast cancer patients, so we're on good footing here. Mom will be okay, so we're all looking to the future, which is why none of us are freaking out horribly. We're encouraging Mom to take this one step at a time as we try to do the same.

In lesser news, I'm recovering from a nasty bout of the flu which hit me right before Christmas, in which my temperature shot up to 102.5 degrees the second day. A high fever for anyone, but for someone like me, whose natural body temperature tends to be around 97.7 to 98.0, it was definitely up there. I hadn't had a fever that high since I had bronchitis in '91. It kinda scared me, since my fingertips went numb at one point and, if I actually moved from my couch, I started shivering as if my feet were planted in ice on a snowy day. Not good. But, with the help of medication, rest and fluids, my fever broke six hours later.

I rang in 2006 by going out dancing and drinking with ModelGirl, her hubby and a friend of theirs whom I'm acquainted with. I definitely drank too much, as once we got in the taxi to go back to ModelGirl's place, I did something I had never done before: I vomited in the cab, with some of it landing on the friend. Talk about embarrassing! I felt more bad for the friend than myself, though he was cool with it. Well, now I know a new limit. But despite that horrific faux pas, I had a great time. And I have a lovely new digital camera, thanks to ModelGirl and her hubby.

What else? Oh yeah. Remember when I said that I was done with men? Well, I probably phrased it wrong. What I meant to say was that I was done with the searching for a guy and I've pretty much accepted that I may never have a relationship again, because I'm just tired of all the disappointment. Well, I told my friends about that decision and some of them have decided that such an attitude is not acceptable, so I now have two friends who want to set me up with guys. I said, sure, why not? Because I will always be open to meeting new people. I happen to like people in general and if these guys are cool, then, if nothing else, maybe I'll have two new friends. Or, at the very least, a couple of interesting evenings. But I'm not getting my hopes up again. There just isn't any point to it.

So that's the update. Exciting, n'est pas?



Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? www.blogwise.com Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Listed on BlogShares Free Image Hosting at ImageShack.us

Registered!
Listed on LABlogs.com

Carol/Female/36-40. Lives in United States/California/Los Angeles/San Fernando Valley, speaks English. Spends 40% of daytime online. Uses a Normal (56k) connection.
This is my blogchalk:
United States, California, Los Angeles, San Fernando Valley, English, Carol, Female, 36-40.

Google
WWW all the fun of the fair...