<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, May 02, 2005

third time's the charm? 

I don't write in too much detail about the company for which I work. Mainly because it's really not all that exciting. It's commercial furniture manufacturing. Not a lot glamour, though I do enjoy it on some level. Far more than I've enjoyed my previous finance jobs in entertainment, though the industry of entertainment is dearer to me.

A few months ago Commercial Furniture Company, after having a year of financial problems, declared bankruptcy. And though we tried to keep a positive view - chin up, stiff upper lip and all that rot - many of us saw the writing on the wall. We waited for the other shoe to drop. We employed other cliches appropriate to the situation.

This morning the other shoe dropped. The showroom in which I work will be closed within two to three weeks. Meaning that by the end of May I will be out of a job. Again.

Now, I have been offered to move to the company's design center so that I may keep my job. Because all of my reps really want to keep me on, have told me they would hate to lose me and are totally sincere about it. Even a rep in the Bay Area, whom I met when I went to Tennessee last year and whom I speak with fairly often, has declared that she really hopes I can stay on. It's all very flattering. And I might have accepted the offer.

But.

The design center is in West Covina. Which is very, very far from where I live. There's no way I'm going to commute, especially sans car, and no way in hell I'm relocating to an area which, from what I understand, is primarily industrial.

I haven't told my reps my decision yet, as I've been asked by my VP to think it over for 48-72 hours. So I don't want it to seem as if I'm reacting in a knee-jerk fashion. But I have made up my mind. I made it up during my conversation with my VP this morning. I'm not staying with the company. I'll be taking the two week severance package.

It's really just as well. I'd always known I was going to stay with CFC for only one to two years. This is just forcing me to stay on that timeline. And since I've recently been seriously considering going to school to pursue writing and graphic/web design, again, I'm being told - by G-d/Higher Being/The Universe/My Self-Importance - that I need to follow through with my plans.

However, this will mark the third time since June 2001 that I've been laid off. First Disney, then Lions Gate, now CFC (I won't reveal the company name until I actually leave - privacy reasons).

Maybe the universe really is telling me to follow my damn dreams already...



Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? www.blogwise.com Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Listed on BlogShares Free Image Hosting at ImageShack.us

Registered!
Listed on LABlogs.com

Carol/Female/36-40. Lives in United States/California/Los Angeles/San Fernando Valley, speaks English. Spends 40% of daytime online. Uses a Normal (56k) connection.
This is my blogchalk:
United States, California, Los Angeles, San Fernando Valley, English, Carol, Female, 36-40.

Google
WWW all the fun of the fair...