<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, February 04, 2005

the end is near... 

I've been in a bit of an unintentional news blackout this week, so I just found out something that made entertainment news a couple of days ago:

Enterprise has been canceled.

As reported on TeeVee.org, this will mark the first time in eighteen years that an original Star Trek series will not air. Eighteen years.

I admit I've not been paying attention to Enterprise since its series premiere, despite the presence of Scott Bakula - whom I think is a yummy treat - and the excellent work of John Billingsley. It just never caught my attention. Perhaps it was the progression of the malaise that Voyager inspired in me, though I've always liked Robert Picardo. I'm not sure. But I haven't been a hard-core Trekkie for many years.

Despite this, and the belief that it was definitely time for a franchise break (did y'all see Insurrection and Nemesis? Yeesh!), I do feel a bit of sadness. I've been a Trek fan since I was twelve or so, becoming irrevocably hooked on the original series and falling head over heels for The Next Generation. Though my obsession was on the wane midway through Deep Space Nine, I still enjoyed it and can't wait until that series syndicates again so I can catch the episodes I missed. Though I suppose I can always keep an eye out for DVDs.

Rest well, Star Trek. You have lived long and prospered, but you'll never be truly gone from our hearts, minds and TV screens. Because syndication rakes in the bucks, yo.



Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? www.blogwise.com Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Listed on BlogShares Free Image Hosting at ImageShack.us

Registered!
Listed on LABlogs.com

Carol/Female/36-40. Lives in United States/California/Los Angeles/San Fernando Valley, speaks English. Spends 40% of daytime online. Uses a Normal (56k) connection.
This is my blogchalk:
United States, California, Los Angeles, San Fernando Valley, English, Carol, Female, 36-40.

Google
WWW all the fun of the fair...