<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, December 16, 2004

just a bourgeois girl at heart... 

First thing's first: My friend whose parents were in the bad car accident a couple of weeks ago? The parents are doing much better. They were injured pretty badly, but are on the mend and look like they'll definitely be okay. So thank you for your prayers/thoughts/good mojo. I appreciate it and I'm sure my friend does too.

*************************

Yes, yet another day went by with no entry from me. But I had a good reason. No, really!

Yesterday was the monthly team meeting for the sales team I support. It went a little differently than usual, thanks to a last minute company-wide conference call at the beginning of the day and two of our team members showing up quite late due to traffic and traveling. Not to mention my manager being sick as a dog, so even though she was there, she didn't have the energy to lead the meeting as she usuallly does. And my VP had to participate in another conference call a few hours into the meeting, so we lost her for a bit. On top of that, NewYorkWriter is leaving the company, due to an excellent job offer from out of the blue from one of the dealers she does business with. We're all very happy for her, but sad that tomorrow is her last day, so that changed the energy a bit. Especially since my manager started the day with an interview in the showroom with a prospective replacement for NewYorkWriter.

So those meetings usually last until about 2 or 3pm, which means I have no time to jot off a quick entry during the day, because the balance of the day is spent catching up. Well, yesterday it was an intensified version of that, because around 1pm we stopped the meeting portion of the day so that we could exchange holiday gifts. And exchange we did. I've never worked someplace where I've gotten - or given - so many gifts. It was a little nerve-wracking trying to come up with something for everyone, but in the end I picked up some lovely ceramic basket-weave bowls, painted them a little, and put a few person-specific goodies in each. For instance, SanDiegoManager has expressed an interest in being a children's book writer, so I picked a little children's book, a small journal with a cute duck on the cover and a pen for her. That sort of thing. They all liked it, and were amazed that I had painted the bowls (really very easy), so that made sickie little me feel a bit better. From the reps I received lovely, very thoughtful things, such as a bag with personalized notecards and other cute things, a silver braclet, a Curious George lunch-box with goodies, a Coach measuring tape and purse-sized notebook and a set of mugs and yummy looking hot chocolate. Plus nummy home-baked Italian cookies from OrangeCountyRep for everyone, including the SisterCompany folks.

Just very nice things from very sweet ladies.

Then off for a quick walk to The Ivy for lunch. I'd never been there before and, though I knew it was nearby, I had no idea it was across the street from my beloved Newsroom Cafe. OrangeCountyRep had the one celebrity sighting (Amanda Peet - though I'm good at spotting celebrities, I don't think I would have recognized her because she comes from a generation of WB actors I pay no attention to, though I have seen Two Ninas at the behest of Sarriah - oh, and I just remember I saw her in Identity, but I was too busy staring at John Cusak, John Hawkes and Alfred Molina to pay much attention to her), but otherwise it was an uneventful, if fun and enjoyable lunch.

However, it was when I looked at the drink menu that I realized I am not only hopelessly middle-class, but even if I were to ever get to the point where I could afford The Ivy on a daily basis, I don't think I would want to. I mean, $6.75 for a glass of orange juice? $10 for a bowl of soup? Don't get me wrong, the food was excellent and the atmosphere charming, but I happen to think that the spinach and cheese ravioli I had really didn't need a $22.75 price tag. I can't imagine how much the lobster ravioli that everyone else had (except for OrangeCountyRep) cost. Then again, that's not to say I didn't have the orange juice or soup or ravioli or yummy white chocolate lemon cake. After all, when in Rome, eat Italian food! Or something like that.

So, yeah, as I said at the top, I am a simple bourgeois gal, and that suits me just fine. I can get equally good food at the Newsroom across the street, with a much wider selection for a veggie gal like me for less money. Same with my dear-to-me Mason Jar Cafe, around the corner from my workplace.

Still, I will admit, it is kinda cool to say that I've at least been to The Ivy. Maybe I'm not quite so bourgeois after all...

As for the rest of the day, after the two hour lunch I spent the rest of the work day - plus a little more - catching up on work. Due to buses, I got home at around 7:45pm and started napping on the sofa, then went to bed a little after 8pm, whereupon I fell asleep between 8:30 and 9pm. Sleep richly needed, though I did wake up about three times during the night with the hacking and coughing and nose blowing. So I slept in a few more hours and got into work today at noon.

See? Busy and sick and coming off a Tuesday night where I slept maybe two hours all told (I stayed up painting and baking for the team meeting). Who had time to write?

Not me, apparently.

*************************

BTW, no poker game at Jim's on Saturday due to lack of participation (stupid holidays). Yeah, that caused a bit of pouting my end. However, he is planning to reschedule for January, so that's of the good. Especially since that only means I'll have more time to hone my poker skills. And that means it will be more difficult to take my money from me.

Jim and his friends may end up regretting this decision...

What?! That was not an evil laugh. Honest! It was just an odd-sounding cough. No, really!

Oh, why does no one ever believe me?!



Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? www.blogwise.com Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Listed on BlogShares Free Image Hosting at ImageShack.us

Registered!
Listed on LABlogs.com

Carol/Female/36-40. Lives in United States/California/Los Angeles/San Fernando Valley, speaks English. Spends 40% of daytime online. Uses a Normal (56k) connection.
This is my blogchalk:
United States, California, Los Angeles, San Fernando Valley, English, Carol, Female, 36-40.

Google
WWW all the fun of the fair...