<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, July 08, 2004

mixed emotions... 

I've got mixed feelings. I admit it. On one hand I think it could be good. On the other hand it could be disastrous. And on the gripping hand, my gut just roils at the thought.

Kobe Bryant becoming a Clipper. That just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I'm not incredibly sports minded, but I've had a soft spot in my heart for the Clippers ever since I lived in San Diego. I was a kid - around twelve or so - and was becoming aware of the world outside of my family, friends and school (and my beloved movies, books and TV). It was about this time I began to notice things like politics and world events and sports. The Clippers had just moved to San Diego and I thought it was pretty cool that we finally had a basketball team. And it was actually a pretty good team in the late 70s, one that had potential. I used to watch the games, though I didn't know much about basketball, and I found it exciting. I was particularly impressed with the performance of Lloyd Free. This was before he changed his name to World B. Free and was traded to the Warriors, leaving behind an on-the-way-out Bill Walton - don't get me started on the stupidity of that move. After Free left and Walton proved to be an albatross around the Clippers' neck, I decided I didn't want to follow any sports team ever again. It was too heart-breaking.

Despite this, I'm always a little happy when I hear that the Clippers have won a game. It's so rare and I still have such fond memories. So to think that Kobe might help up the team's record brings a smile to my face.

But.

It's Kobe Bryant.

Leaving aside his current legal problems (I have no opinion on the matter, as I haven't been following the case, I have no idea what the truth is and there are, in my opinion, enough apparent facts to support either side's case - though I could definitely be wrong there - as I've said, not caring about the case that much), he's just such a showboating player. From what I've seen and heard, he tends to forget that he even has teammates, which is not what the Clippers need.

And, well, it's Kobe Bryant. Much like Barry Bonds, his arrogance and self-aggrandizing leave a very bitter taste in my mouth. Yes, he's a talented ball player, but I despise people who seem to think that they are owed the world. And I don't want my beloved Clippers to be tainted by close association with Bryant. In my not-so-humble-opinion, the man is just bad news.

But it would be so cool for them to win...



Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? www.blogwise.com Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Listed on BlogShares Free Image Hosting at ImageShack.us

Registered!
Listed on LABlogs.com

Carol/Female/36-40. Lives in United States/California/Los Angeles/San Fernando Valley, speaks English. Spends 40% of daytime online. Uses a Normal (56k) connection.
This is my blogchalk:
United States, California, Los Angeles, San Fernando Valley, English, Carol, Female, 36-40.

Google
WWW all the fun of the fair...