<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, May 03, 2004

party report... 

I had planned on doing some cleaning on Thursday and Friday evenings, but exhaustion on Thursday evening and lack of energy on Friday nixed those plans. So what did I do instead? I was out of bed at 4:30am Saturday morning, had a quick breakfast of toast, soy yogurt and English Breakfast tea, then started with the cleaning. And I didn't stop moving until sometime after the majority of my guests had arrived. And even then I had trouble sitting still. It's the innate Taurean hostess in me, the need to make sure that everyone has what they need. It's that same need that makes me buy too much food and drinks, especially on a horribly hot night when most people just don't feel like eating. I'll be eating lasagna and chili for at least a week. But I shouldn't say anything. I barely ate and I had eaten very little all day.

Somehow I managed to fit in car rental and cleaning and laundry and taking my cat Edison to be shaved and food shopping and cooking into the day, not to mention getting myself clean and presentable. And as ModelGirl and SurferBoy walked in first, ModelGirl marveling at the cleanliness of my place, I knew that the apartment was presentable enough. Thank G-d.

Eventually a total of eight people showed up. Not a large group, but not a tiny one either. Everyone seemed to have fun, talking and, for those who hadn't previously met, getting to know one another. Sarriah wasn't there, because she was out of town, but most of my closest local friends showed up, as well as a couple of good acquaintances. And all but one of them have been mentioned in this 'blog before: ModelGirl and hubby SurferBoy, Boychik, RockerChick and hubby UPSGuy, NewYorkWriter, plus someone I've known off and on over the years through RockerChick - Schmobie (I may be misspelling that, but it is her actual nickname).

And, of course, CuteNerdBoy. He popped in while I was fixing saffron rice in the kitchen, handed me a birthday gift (three CDs - see under "Hearing" to the right), and gave me a big hug and the usual little kiss. I introduced him to NewYorkWriter (I think RockerChick had already introduced him to the folks in the living room).

The evening was a fun one for me, watching everyone chatting and laughing. I had a little more to drink than perhaps I should have on an empty stomach, with light drunkenness visiting me far earlier than it normally would, but I didn't really care. Because I didn't have to drive and I was having fun. Even when RockerChick nearly succeeded in spraying whipped cream down the back of my jeans (thank G-d I have quick reflexes and have remained flexible over the years). Even when I crawled on my stomach after Edison, wanting to cut off some hanging fur that the groomer had left on when he freaked out about having his ass groomed. I realized, though not as quickly as I should have, that I was a little too tipsy to be wielding scissors. Usually I'm much smarter that, even drunk, but at least I had already put down the scissors before I crawled into the hallway after Edison, with CuteNerdBoy calling after me, "She's crawling, with scissors!"

"I already put them down!" I called back.

(I succeeded the next day, when I was infinitely more sober - now he looks like a cute lil' lion. He still needs a little more grooming, but not much.

I tried to step back, to allow the talk to flow normally, but at the same time I was Birthday Girl, Queen Bee, comfortable to be completely myself in the company I kept, knowing I could be as silly and loopy and drunk as I wanted to be and that none would think I was trying to upstage anyone, as is sometimes a concern of mine. Hell, I think I kept them heartily amused, which I always enjoy doing.

I do feel as if I monopolized CuteNerdBoy a little bit. Certainly not my intention, but that would have probably been my inclination anyway, I'm forced to admit, and being drunk, I was even more inclined to do so. And while he's seen me tipsy before, I think Saturday night was the first time he'd seen me drunk. At least I'm a friendly, amusing drunk. Which is good, since I get drunk only about three or four times a year, and really drunk maybe twice a year. At least I should enjoy it when it happens, right?

But it's really about perception, I guess. NewYorkWriter, who's heard a bit about CuteNerdBoy, said that I was obviously entranced by him while RockerChick said she thought I was just being my usual flirty self. Then again, RockerChick has seen me tipsy before whereas NewYorkWriter (a member of my writing group and the woman who got me the position at CommercialFurnitureCompany) has only ever seen me completely sober (I was still merely tipsy when she left). Which one is closer to the truth, I wonder? I think it's probably a combo of the two.

CuteNerdBoy and Boychik were the last ones to leave and, when Boychik declared he was leaving, CuteNerdBoy stated it was time for him to be heading home as well, even though it was barely midnight, which I found a little interesting. Boychik left, CuteNerdBoy and I shared a long, lovely hug and the now-standard tiny kisses, then off he went.

I retained enough presence of mind to put away all the food, then I changed into a little white lace nightshirt I love to sleep in, curled up on my bed with my New Orleans feather boa which I had been playing with before Boychik and CuteNerdBoy left (don't know why I curled up with the boa - I think because in my drunken state I just loved the soft feel of the feathers against my skin) and promptly fell asleep.

I woke up the next morning earlier than I had wanted to, but I had to return my rental car at 8am, so I had no choice. I ended up napping a couple of times during the day, with desultory party cleaning, Angel watching, keyboard self-lessons, and walking a total of four miles (one mile home from the rental car place and a little over three miles at sunset) fit in there. And maybe a little too much to eat, making up for my lack of food the previous day, perhaps.

A good weekend, all told. Fun and lots of goofiness. Oh, how I adore goofiness. With a bit of wistfulness thrown in there as well, as is always the case with CuteNerdBoy. Fun, goofiness and wistfulness. What an interesting feeling combo that is. *shrug*

This whole week is going to be busy again, but it's more a social busyness than a cleaning busyness. I have no problem with that.

*takes deep breath, dives into the week*



Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? www.blogwise.com Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Listed on BlogShares Free Image Hosting at ImageShack.us

Registered!
Listed on LABlogs.com

Carol/Female/36-40. Lives in United States/California/Los Angeles/San Fernando Valley, speaks English. Spends 40% of daytime online. Uses a Normal (56k) connection.
This is my blogchalk:
United States, California, Los Angeles, San Fernando Valley, English, Carol, Female, 36-40.

Google
WWW all the fun of the fair...