<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, May 22, 2004

musical interlude... 

It's perfectly suited
This uniform grey
There are no bearings
To the day
I came down from the air
And I'll leave by boat
I'm down with your rainy town
Out on the spit
With the biggest port around
My friend is on the way
He's bringing my coat

Oh, you don't do what I want you to
But I haven't been
Through all you've been through
And we could use that
As an excuse
If that's what you choose
If that's what you choose

Well it was kinda hard
To pull away
He said "Buck up baby,
It's okay. The sunlight
On the floor will always fall."
And I meant to write it
On the plane
High above my earthly pain
But I slept right through
The flight and that was all.

Oh, you don't do what I want you to
But I haven't been
Through all you've been through
And we could use that
As an excuse
If that's what you choose
If that's what you choose

It's perfectly suited
This uniform grey
There are no bearings
To the day
I came down from the air
And I'll leave by boat
I'm down with your rainy town
In the spare room
With the biggest port around
My friend is on the way
He's bringing my coat
He's bringing my coat


Uniform Grey by Sarah Harmer (from You Were Here)

It's been a crazy busy week, both work-wise and socially: preparing for a vendor show in Anaheim; attending said vendor show with my reps and an Arnold Schwartznegger impersonator; going to the writing group after a long workday; being unofficially offered the position that I'm currently covering (my predecessor has decided to not return from maternity leave - once her paperwork is finalized mine will be started); preparing for and attending our monthly team meeting; hanging out with Sarriah and MidWestRoommate; preparing for and attending Modelgirl's baby shower today. And not as much sleep as I should have had with all of that happening.

But thus far the highlight of the week was Wednesday night. I had spent the long day with my sales reps at the aforementioned vendor show in Anaheim, starting with an early morning train ride to the Staples Center to meet NewYorkWriter, then on to the Citadel to pick up SanFernandoValleyRep (or SFVRep), then south to the Anaheim Marriott. Many hours of standing, pulling in prospective clients to have their photos taken with our Governator look-alike (the hit of the show), smiling until my face hurt and discovering - much to my chagrin - that I would probably make an excellent sales person. I was tired by the time NewYorkWriter dropped me off at my workplace, where I was scheduled to meet CuteNerdBoy at 6pm for dinner and Sarah Harmer.

So we met, went off to dinner at Hamburger Hamlet in Hollywood, had fun as usual. I was a bit flirty, but certainly nowhere near as shameless as at the RockerChick/UPSGuy party on Saturday. Indeed, there was barely any cleavage to be seen on Wednesday.

(As mentioned, I was at work earlier and even I tend to keep my cleavage reined in at work.)

Then off for a Sarah Harmer show at the Knitting Factory, which is nearly across the street from Hambuger Hamlet. It was the same place we saw Jonatha Brooke. It was a great show, despite having had our ears deadened by a "band" in the bar while waiting for the main doors to open and standing all night, through the opening act and Sarah's set. In fact, it was only because of my growing exhaustion and screamingly aching feet (and the woman screeching next to me until I moved to the other side of CuteNerdBoy) that I wasn't close to as emotionally drooping as I was at the end of Jonatha's show the previous month.

That and the fact Sarah didn't sing Capsized or You Were Here. I loved the other songs she sang, even the ones I was unfamiliar with because they're from her new album, which I have not yet gotten. But those songs fell into what CuteNerdBoy called the "play/don't play" category. As in, "I love those songs and hope she sings them, but if she does I'll be a total wreck and I don't know if I want to be a total wreck." At least, that's what it meant for me.

Anyway, it was a lovely night. It certainly tested my recent decision to behave as just CuteNerdBoy's friend (for some reason he looked even cuter than usual - maybe it was his scruffy stubble and slightly longish hair - that a look that I happen to adore on him, especially if he happens to pair it with a button-down shirt, which was not the case on Wednesday [it was New BookCrossing T-shirt night]). But despite the temptation he continues to be, the whole "just friends" thing I'm trying to embrace actually felt pretty comfortable most of the time.

Okay, maybe CuteNerdBoy doesn't "do what I want [him] to", but I think I might be okay with that.

Eventually.


Labels:



Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? www.blogwise.com Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Listed on BlogShares Free Image Hosting at ImageShack.us

Registered!
Listed on LABlogs.com

Carol/Female/36-40. Lives in United States/California/Los Angeles/San Fernando Valley, speaks English. Spends 40% of daytime online. Uses a Normal (56k) connection.
This is my blogchalk:
United States, California, Los Angeles, San Fernando Valley, English, Carol, Female, 36-40.

Google
WWW all the fun of the fair...