<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, April 25, 2004

tales from the festival... 

* Gasp! Homer Simpson? Possibly a poor dietary role model? Say it ain't so!

I was going to post more links (started this on Wednesday), but I ran out of time and then I realized that practically all I've been posting lately are links. It's not that I've had nothing to write, but I haven't had much energy. Just been really tired this week, due to not sleeping as well as I perhaps should.

But that's okay because I am writing this entry (or at least the bulk of it) from Ackerman Union at UCLA. Yesterday and today I've attended the L.A. Times Festival of Books and had a very nice time (no links because it'll take too much work, methinks, to back and forth - I can't open multiple screens as I'm wont to do at home and work). Yesterday I was with NewYorkWriter, attending a couple of panels and conversations - one with Ricky Jay and one about memoir writing. Then we sat under a tree and listened to William Gibson read from his new book, Pattern Recognition, which sounds interesting. I've not yet read any of his work, but I understand they are books I should pick up and check out.

Afterwards Sarriah took me out for an early b-day dinner, whereupon I crashed at her place for the night and headed back to UCLA this morning. So far I've attended two panels on fiction writing, one of which had Glen David Gold as a panelist. Being a big fan of his book, Carter Meets the Devil, I was very excited to see him speak. The other panelists (Herbert Gold, Marianne Wiggins and Jon Boorstin) were all very interesting and very entertaining, but I have to say my heart belonged to Glen David Gold during that session. Very funny, an excellent writer, friend to Michael Chabin (whose book Adventures of Kavalier and Clay is another favorite) and freakin' cute to boot. His wife (Alice Sebold, an author of some note - I've yet to read Lovely Bones) is quite the lucky lady.

I'm not sure what else I'm going to do today. There's another fiction panel at 3pm, but I'm getting rather tired. I started falling asleep during a session with William Gibson and Bruce Wagner, so I left that 20 minutes before it ended. I couldn't stay awake to save my life. I'm supposed to maybe get together with Boychik, but when I called him at 1:40pm he had just awoken from a nap and wasn't ready to meet me at UCLA. I admit I'm a little ticked, because we talked about it last night and, well, today's my birthday. Shouldn't it be about what I want to do? That's how I broach other people's birthdays. I guess I'm getting a little tired of having to arrange my own damn birthday entertainment. I'm throwing my own birthday party next week. That's okay, it's my own choice and I do love to throw parties and arrange things. But it also comes from learning the hard way that, if I don't do something for my birthday, other people probably won't think about it.

Okay, enough of that! No self-pity allowed, damn it! I'll deal, right? Next week is the week all my birthday wishes will be wished upon me (I've gotten a couple of e-mails and a voicemail message, so I just need to freakin' chill).

I gotta go - folks waiting for this terminal!

Now, if only I could find a way to work a little birthday sex into the day... *sigh*



Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? www.blogwise.com Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Listed on BlogShares Free Image Hosting at ImageShack.us

Registered!
Listed on LABlogs.com

Carol/Female/36-40. Lives in United States/California/Los Angeles/San Fernando Valley, speaks English. Spends 40% of daytime online. Uses a Normal (56k) connection.
This is my blogchalk:
United States, California, Los Angeles, San Fernando Valley, English, Carol, Female, 36-40.

Google
WWW all the fun of the fair...