<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, April 07, 2004

My ears, my ears... 

So. I work in the showroom with this woman. She's approximately my age, very nice, intelligent, into a lot of the same things I'm into: metaphysics, good music, art, etc. We get along pretty well.

But.

She's obsessed with diets and eating habits. She's in the middle of changing the way she eats and she's not entirely happy with her current weight, wanting to lose about ten pounds. She looks fine to me, but I can certainly understand wanting to be at a place where one is more comfortable with one's self.

As a result, nearly all she talks about are fat-free-this and low-carb-that and those Weight Watcher points that she has to keep track of. It's driving me nutty. Granted, it's not a far drive, but it is a drive, nonetheless.

That sort of focus on diets and eating is exactly the sort of thing that turned me off of mentioning anything about changes that I want to make in my own life so many years ago, back when I was working at Great Western Bank (my second job and where I spent a good portion of my 20s). I worked in a department that was made up primarily of women and damned if most of them didn't sit around the breakroom talking about this diet and those calories and stay away from anything with fat! I was still a little on the big side in those days, but far thinner than I am now, and it seemed so sad - not to mention annoying - that these presumably intelligent women couldn't find anything else to talk about. I tended to avoid the breakroom, preferring to either eat out or eat at my desk. It also made me very leery about diets in general. Well, that and the statistics that came out around the same time suggesting that the majority of weight-loss diets fail in the long run ("long run" being defined as keeping the lost weight off for a minimum of five years).

I managed to avoid that sort of obsession while at Disney, due to the lack of a breakroom (though there was a full kitchen, unlike at GW), but noticed it again at Lions Gate, where again people had a place to sit in the kitchen whilst eating.

While there is no kitchen or breakroom at my current place of employment, the other administrator and I have our desks up against one another, with a three foot tall cube wall separating them. Which means that we can chat while working. Which also means that she frequently pipes up about what she's eating and how many points it's worth and how many she has left for the day. I'm happy that's trying to things that make her feel good about herself, but do I have to hear about it non-stop? Especially when I know full well that's she's capable of discussing far more diverse subjects.

Ah well, I suppose I too have been guilty of holding forth on certain subjects far more than others might want to hear. But I swear she's going to drive me to eat a Big Mac one of these days...



Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? www.blogwise.com Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Listed on BlogShares Free Image Hosting at ImageShack.us

Registered!
Listed on LABlogs.com

Carol/Female/36-40. Lives in United States/California/Los Angeles/San Fernando Valley, speaks English. Spends 40% of daytime online. Uses a Normal (56k) connection.
This is my blogchalk:
United States, California, Los Angeles, San Fernando Valley, English, Carol, Female, 36-40.

Google
WWW all the fun of the fair...