<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, April 14, 2004

adam busch is a big dork... 

Now, before you fans of Adam Busch (Warren in Buffy the Vampire Slayer for those who don't know) get your panties in a twist, let me stress that I mean that in the best possible way. Because I, who am capable of astounding feats of dorkitude, I am intimately familiar with various kinds of dorkiness and can say, without equivocation, that Adam Busch's dorkosity is of a fabulous and fun kind.

Tonight CuteNerdBoy and I went to another show, this time to see Common Rotation perform with The Nields at the Hotel Cafe in Hollywood. As I stood third in line (having gotten there later than anticipated, due to work and bus issues, which meant I didn't have time to stop off at my beloved Amoeba beforehand, as I had planned), waiting for the doors to open and CuteNerdBoy to arrive from the west end of the San Fernando Valley, I bonded with some of the others in line, most of whom were Buffy fans. Finally CuteNerdBoy showed up and finally they let us in.

We were early enough that we got a good table, which was key considering that later there was not a free space in which to stand. Food and mochas were gotten (oh shit, I just remembered, I think I owe CuteNerdBoy some money, in addition to the dinner I owe him for helping me move stuff to Sarriah's last month - I think that boy's gonna get a mighty fine dinner or two from me), conversation was had with two young ladies that joined us at our table, and then the show started.

The Nields (sisters Nerissa and Katryna) opened and were great. A lot of fun, with some very moving music, gorgeously quirky harmonies and Katryna's physical abandon to the melodies. CuteNerdBoy was already a big fan of theirs and I was familiar with some of their songs through his mix CDs, so we were fully ready for a great music listening experience when they began.

Then Adam Busch and Eric Kufs took the stage, later to be joined by the rest of their band-mates for this tour (Prof. Ken Beck and Mike Uhler, if I remember correctly). And man oh man, were they a ton of fun. True musicians, with witty, occasionally slightly pretentious lyrics, fun poppy beats and a nice range of musical styles.

And throughout it all Adam Busch - with his excellent voice - bopped and jumped and twitched and was a blast and a half to watch. I've never looked upon him as a sexy guy before, and I don't think I really do now, but there is something that's very appealing about a musician who is so into the music that he's not afraid of looking silly. That sort of dorkism is the best sort of dorkism and one I totally support.

The other fellas were cool too (Eric Kufs has an incredible voice) and the last song they sang before (and as) they left the stage all four harmonized beautifully, encouraging the audience to join them. Which we did.

Then they stood amongst the standing audience (the majority of them Buffy fans) and sang I Won't Back Down as a non-overt protest song of sorts against, most likely, the current administration (one gathered the band members are not exactly fans of Bush and Company).

And they were gone and so were we. Again CuteNerdBoy drove me home and again (as happened last night after the BookCrossing meeting), instead of waiting for him to walk me to my door, I, without fore-thought, got out of his van, gathered my stuff, then leaned over the passenger seat and kissed him quickly but fully on the lips (though I did lean over and hug him tonight before leaving the van) before walking myself to the door. It wasn't until I entered my apartment that I realized what I had done. I put it to the wine I had during dinner last night, but I certainly can't say that about tonight, considering all I had was a mocha and some water.

I have no idea where this new parting came from. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I hope that it doesn't totally replace the big hugs of yore, but considering I can still feel his soft lips on mine - well, there are positives and negatives.

Well, we'll see what happens the next time we see each other, whenever that may be. Hopefully I didn't make him uncomfortable. I hate making my friends uncomfortable because I'm being a dork of the odd kind.



Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? www.blogwise.com Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Listed on BlogShares Free Image Hosting at ImageShack.us

Registered!
Listed on LABlogs.com

Carol/Female/36-40. Lives in United States/California/Los Angeles/San Fernando Valley, speaks English. Spends 40% of daytime online. Uses a Normal (56k) connection.
This is my blogchalk:
United States, California, Los Angeles, San Fernando Valley, English, Carol, Female, 36-40.

Google
WWW all the fun of the fair...