<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, March 16, 2004

Writing exercise... 

Tuesday nights are the nights my writing group meets. I go pretty much every Tuesday, except for the second Tuesday of each month, which is the night that BookCrossing meets. We sit, read things we've written over the course of the week, give suggestions or ideas. And we tend to do a ten minute writing exercise each week. For a long time we just used words picked out of books, but recently we decided to mix it up a little bit. Tonight's writing prompt was a song from one of my mix CDs and I have to say I rather like the result, sanguine as it is. So I thought I'd share it with y'all. It ain't pretty, and it's totally fictional, but it's always interesting (to me, at any rate) what can writhe its way out of my odd little brain.

The song: Blood Makes Noise by Suzanne Vega.

Rushing, rushing, through my veins, through my ears, through my head. It mounts until I feel I can stand it no longer. But it only grows louder, stronger.

I can't give in. I won't give in. To the lust, to the blood that screams for recognition after too, too long ignored. But the desire is too great and it's all I can do to not heed its seductive siren song.

Insanity teases the edges of my mind as the battle of wills rages on. What is real? What is fake? And why can't I tell the difference in that which is in every part of me, every cell?

A small cut, just a tiny one, to slowly release the liquid drowning my tissues with its iron-fisted rule. Surely the little red pearl forming on my fingertip will help to lessen the pounding in my all too fragile head.

Not enough. Never enough. But I suck on the crimson droplet, taking it back into myself. Better that than another innocent soul, one not cursed with this viral malady that infects me as surely as HIV might infect another.

Cooped up in my lonely room, I recycle the screaming blood.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? www.blogwise.com Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Listed on BlogShares Free Image Hosting at ImageShack.us

Registered!
Listed on LABlogs.com

Carol/Female/36-40. Lives in United States/California/Los Angeles/San Fernando Valley, speaks English. Spends 40% of daytime online. Uses a Normal (56k) connection.
This is my blogchalk:
United States, California, Los Angeles, San Fernando Valley, English, Carol, Female, 36-40.

Google
WWW all the fun of the fair...