<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, November 03, 2003

Movies... 

I haven't written a lot about movies in this space, but that's not because I don't like them. Au contraire, mes amis. I adore them. But I'm a very critical movie watcher, as well as a very lazy movie goer, so I don't see all that many.

(My mom once said I'd make an excellent movie critic because I always have something to say about movies and I'm not the most complimentary person. Now, if a movie is good, I'll be the first to say so. But, hey, if it sucks, it sucks. Episode 2, I'm looking at you. I'm still kind of upset that Christopher Lee's character, Count Dooku, survived. Because that means I'll be forced to watch Episode 3. I love Christopher Lee that much. Damn you, Lucas! Damn your inept writing and directing to hell!)

A-hem.

In the last couple of years I've seen more movies than I have in the previous five combined, and this year, since the commencement of dating CuteNerdBoy and the free screenings through work, my movie going experience has gone through the roof. Relatively speaking, that is. I still see less movies than the average single-celled life form.

There are three movies that have recently or will soon be released that I'm dying to see:

* The Singing Detective - I've never seen the BBC miniseries, though I've always wanted to. I've heard such great things about it and the commercials look very interesting to me. Plus Adrian Brody!

* Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World - Having recently read and enjoyed the book, I'm eager to see how it's been translated to the big screen. James D'Arcy is also in it - he did a fine job as a rather young Sherlock Holmes in A Case of Evil last year. It'll be nice to see more of his work.

* Love Actually - I love good writing and good direction and all that sort of stuff, but what really gets me excited is good acting. This cast is an acting addict's wet dream. I look at names like Alan Rickman and Colin Firth and Emma Thompson and Liam Neeson (and Keira Knightly has favorably impressed me in the two movies in which I've seen her) and I start salivating like Homer Simpson at Krispy Kreme.

I'm rarely one for romantic comedies, mainly because so many of them are obviously, painfully manipulative (you know who you are, The Wedding Planner - I didn't even watch you but your commercials made me want to gouge out my eyes, so the thought of sitting through all of you was too horrific to contemplate).

(Confession - there is one bad rom-com I love, though I try so hard not to: French Kiss. Even with Meg Ryan, whose perkiness tends to bug the crap out of me, I'm held captive by this movie whenever I stumble across it on TV. It must be the double delight of Kevin Kline and Timothy Hutton that enthralls me so. Jean Reno does a fine, fine job as well.)

But give me a good romantic comedy, like Princess Bride, Bridget Jones Diary (which I enjoyed despite myself, thanks to Colin Firth) or even Sleepless in Seattle and I'm a happy, happy little girly-girl. Love Actually looks like it might be good clean romantic comedy fun. And all those lovely actors. *sigh*

I just may swoon.



Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? www.blogwise.com Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Listed on BlogShares Free Image Hosting at ImageShack.us

Registered!
Listed on LABlogs.com

Carol/Female/36-40. Lives in United States/California/Los Angeles/San Fernando Valley, speaks English. Spends 40% of daytime online. Uses a Normal (56k) connection.
This is my blogchalk:
United States, California, Los Angeles, San Fernando Valley, English, Carol, Female, 36-40.

Google
WWW all the fun of the fair...