<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, September 07, 2003

Hot and tired and a little bit cranky... 

...not that that's all that unusual.

This weekend is one of those weekends where nothing went as planned. It's just bugging me.

Originally I was planning on working yesterday. Then I found out that the electricity in the building was going to be down all day. So, since I've got a month-close deadline at 3pm on Monday, I opted to come in today, though I had to postpone getting together with BabySis. The plan was to arrive at 11am and work through 'til 4pm, with two of our temps coming in to help.

Today the universe told me, "Carol, plans are for arrogant, uninformed fools."

First of all, I'm working on little sleep. My neighbor had one of his (admittedly very rare) loud parties last night. It died down around 2:30am, but, though I was exhausted, I couldn't fall asleep until nearly 4am. I got out of bed at 7:30am. Yeah, I know.

Thanks to bus schedules being sparse on Sundays and the fabulous Los Angeles Triathlon today, of which I was unaware, I ended up waiting for one of my three buses for two hours. Turns out that all the buses in the Hollywood/Highland area were rerouted, which I didn't realize until I'd been waiting for nearly an hour. Yeah. So I had to hunt down the correct bus stop to wait at, where I stood for about forty minutes. And since my final bus only goes to the west side of town once an hour, I had to wait another forty minutes, thereby arriving at work at 1:30pm. I left my apartment at 9:30 am this morning.

(And I think the back of my neck is sun-burned, since I wore my hair up in a messy French twist today. Fun stuff.)

Since the building is locked up on the weekends and only permanent employees have keys and access cards, the temps were waiting for me to call them before they headed to work. Luckily I was able to contact both of them while I was bus-waiting, so I told one of them not to worry, since I knew she had afternoon plans. The other temp was able to come in at 2pm and worked until 4pm. Every little bit helps.

On top of that my boss is on vacation in New York right now (planned months and months ago), so all month-end billing falls on my head, as the person in charge. I don't begrudge him his vacation, because if anyone deserves time away, it's him. But all the timing for this month-end (and for the entire month) has been royally fucked-up, so I'm just a tiny bit stressed.

(Oh, and there's no air-conditioning in the building on Sundays. Apparently the management thinks that no one ever works on Sundays. Idiots.)

So I'm taking a quick break, eating a yummy veggie burger (because, for some reason, those Sun Chips that I had at 1pm while waiting for the bus, the chips that were pretty much my breakfast - those didn't last me very long) and typing here before heading back to the wonderful world of video returns (just as boring as it sounds). I'll probably be here until 8pm. Then I'll get home at around 10pm. And get up early tomorrow to get to work by 7am. Yech.

At least it's not quarter-end. That comes at the end of September.

***********************************************


In addition, I think my hair is too red.

My hair is naturally dark brown with lots of red highlights. About once every year or two I like to color it some shade of auburn, just to try something new. It's rarely the same shade, because I like to mix it up. Back in July I hadn't colored my hair in over a year., so I decided to go for it, using a medium auburn and it turned out pretty nice. I admit part of the reason I decided to infuse the mop with red was because I knew CuteNerdBoy likes auburn or red hair (though if his preference had been blondes? He'd be outta luck - I ain't never going blonde or getting blonde highlights - boy, would that look stupid on me). It was time to go auburn again anyway. And I got a lot of compliments on it.

Well, the red was growing out, so I thought I'd color it again and picked up what I thought would be just a slightly brighter auburn, which I used this morning.

See above comment about plans and fools.

It's not a super bright red, still falling more into the auburn family. It's not even the brightest I've ever had my hair. Back in the late 80s, due to an unfortunate run-in with first Sun-In, then henna, my hair was nearly copper. As I let it grow out I had tri-colored hair. It was a very interesting look. I wish I had pictures of that hair.

Today my hair definitely brighter than I had intended. I think it looks good, but it is taking a bit of adjusting. I think I'll just leave the hair color alone for awhile.

***********************************************


I'm just going to blame it all on the combination of Mercury retrograde, Mars retrograde and opposition of Mars and Jupiter. Hey, it's as good an explanation as anything.



Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? www.blogwise.com Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Listed on BlogShares Free Image Hosting at ImageShack.us

Registered!
Listed on LABlogs.com

Carol/Female/36-40. Lives in United States/California/Los Angeles/San Fernando Valley, speaks English. Spends 40% of daytime online. Uses a Normal (56k) connection.
This is my blogchalk:
United States, California, Los Angeles, San Fernando Valley, English, Carol, Female, 36-40.

Google
WWW all the fun of the fair...