<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, August 31, 2003

Sometimes ya just gotta be a kid.... 

Friday night after work I went to the new apartment of OlderBro, his girlfriend and her 21 year old son, to pay OlderBro some cash he spotted me when I unexpectedly left the house last Sunday without my ATM card or any of my ID. I was also there to just hang out and have some dinner.

So hanging out was to be had with OlderBro and OlderBro'sGirlfriend (who is a playwright and screenwriter), chatting with her for a while about various and sundry subjects while OlderBro went to the store. When he returned we snacked on CheezIts and DoubleStuff Mint and Cream Oreos (which, if you knew either of OlderBro or OBGirlfriend, might be a little surprising - two least likey junk food eaters you've never seen in your life - she's tall and thin, a former model, and he's 5'10" with a pretty athletic body, whereas I don't even keep junk food or soda in my house). Anyway, around 9:30pm OBGirlfriend declared that it was time to go eat dinner and eventually we settled on a Lebanese restaurant they were fond of.

The food was quite good, as was the company, and since I was going to be spending the night at their place so that I could go straight into work on Saturday (yeah, yeah, I know - they live pretty close to my work place, much closer than I do), we decided to pick up a video. As a way to deflect their well-meaning but unsolicited advice about CuteNerdBoy (advice which I disagreed with, quite frankly), I talked them into Chicago, which they had never seen. OBGirlfriend had wanted to see it, OlderBro was lukewarm, but decided to go for it (he's not into musicals) and I had seen it before and loved it.

(Besides the fact that it's very well-done and the music and choreography are incredible, it has Taye Diggs, who is rather yummy, and Catherine Zeta-Jones and Queen Latifah, two of the three women I might consider, um, briefly switching teams for if they propositioned me, despite the fact that I will always prefer men in general and one man in particular [the third woman is Gillian Anderson, if you're curious].)

We went back to their place, watched the video, which they both loved, then as OlderBro set up his telescope so that we could observe Mars, I started a little slipping and sliding in their dining area on the new Pergo wood flooring in my socks. OBGirlfriend pointed out that they had a perfectly good long hallway that the cats frequently used as a slip and slide, if I just pulled back the runner, I'd have a lot more room.

Liking the way she thought, I pulled back the runner and tried a test run, whereupon I fell on my ass pretty damned quick, sending OBGirlfriend into howls of laughter. My next two runs were far more successful, but still only half of the way down the hallway, with OlderBro coming in during the last one. Of course he not only had to get in on the act, but proceeded to show off by conducting two successful runs down the entire length of the hallway and landing on his knees in a very Al Jolson manner.

Not to be outdone, I tried it myself, starting near the backdoor, trying to get up as much speed as I could as cats decided to sit in the hallway, then run for their lives as they saw me coming. I was not successful. Not only did I fall, but I landed on my ass very hard, my feet flew up over my head and I came close to performing a backwards somersault. I was perfectly ok, aside from my formidable pride, and both OlderBro and OBGirlfriend were doubled over in fits of laughter, declaring it to be the funniest thing they'd ever seen. I swear they almost fell on the floor, they were laughing so hard.

I was laughing with them, happy to have provided such amusement for them because life has been rather kicking both of them rather hard of late, but there was still my wounded pride to be dealt with, not to mention my sneaking suspicion that, though I know they still would have laughed hard had I been svelte instead of Rubenesque, part of the extreme hilarity was due to the fact I'm a big girl. There are many people who find fat people slipping and falling to be the height of humor, possibly including those two, whereas I find it very unfunny. And, well, I wanted to show them.

I did. I started at the opposite end of the hall, got up a good head of steam, and started to slide. I didn't realize that OBGirlfriend had gone into the kitchen to get her beer and was walking out the door into the hall. She didn't realize I was giving it another run. So, just after I started to slide, she popped her head and her hand with the beer into the hallway, right in my way. I noticed her before she noticed me and we both had a split second to react. She pulled back, but not quickly enough. However, I actually have excellent reflexes and have always been pretty good at dancing out of people's way. I reached out my right hand, pushed off one wall, executed a beautiful 360° spin and ended up still on my feet, hands braced behind me against the opposite wall. They were impressed, but it still couldn't erase the memory of me with my feet waving in the air like they just don't care. *shrug* Oh well.

Soon after the telescope was set up and I viewed Mars as more than a steady pinpoint of light, with different magnifications. It was very cool, looking at the disc through the eyepiece and, for a moment, I wished I didn't wear glasses because I always find that the image is a little more blurry, with the eyepiece hitting up against the lenses, than when I'm looking at such things with contacts on.

Finally, after more hanging out and OBGirlfriend's son coming home, whereupon his mother instantly regaled him with tales of my hallway adventures, still laughing her ass off at the memory and OBGSon wishing he had been around to see it, we all went to bed at around 3:30am, me on their sofa with their old street-wise cat sleeping with me.

And the next day I went to work for a few hours and went home to veg and hopefully set up the new computer. However this could not be accomplished because I mislaid the new keyboard and the connectors on the old keyboard are all wrong. So today, instead of cleaning all day like I planned, I'll be busing it to Circuit City because I can't find the new keyboard anywhere and I really want to get this all set up, especially since CuteNerdBoy has offered to help me with some of the more complicated installations when he gets back from his white water river rafting trip this weekend. Yeah, he's pretty adventurous - he does this trip every year and has also gone bungee jumping - I think he's nuts in regards to the bungee jumping, but the rafting sounds very fun (and more than a little scary to a bad swimmer like me, though I would still love to try it someday).

So I think I'm off to the store now. Then to set up my computer. Then to clean, then to clean some more tomorrow before heading out to YoungestSis' place to hang out with her, her son, fiancee, his parents and my own mommy for the day. It'll be fun, but I'm so glad I'm taking today for just myself, with no one else. It's been far too long since I've had a day that was just all about me.

Have a kick-ass rest of the holiday weekend, my sweet American readers. And to my sweet international readers, a kick-ass weekend to you as well, even if no holiday is involved. I love you all!



Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? www.blogwise.com Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Listed on BlogShares Free Image Hosting at ImageShack.us

Registered!
Listed on LABlogs.com

Carol/Female/36-40. Lives in United States/California/Los Angeles/San Fernando Valley, speaks English. Spends 40% of daytime online. Uses a Normal (56k) connection.
This is my blogchalk:
United States, California, Los Angeles, San Fernando Valley, English, Carol, Female, 36-40.

Google
WWW all the fun of the fair...