<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, July 02, 2003

I feel the need... 

... the need to read! And I'm totally excited about the need to read.

I've been an avid reader for many years, ever since I first picked up Red Light, Green Light in kindergarten. I devoured books, always wanting to cram more information into my developing brain. I frequently shut myself in my room during my pre-teen and teen years due to my then-extreme shyness and my desire to live in other worlds in my head, aided by the magical invention of words on bound paper. While I eventually lost most of my shyness, my fascination with the written word never ceased.

But over the last two years my desire to sit and read anything besides magazines, newspapers and websites dropped off sharply. There were stretches of time lasting months when I didn't pick up a book at all. A highly unusual occurance for me. I had started reading books more often about six months ago, but it still took me weeks to finish novels which previously would have been polished off in less than a week.

So, what's changed, you ask? Well, bus commutes lasting two or more hours certainly have something to do with it, I'd say. But I find I'm getting excited about books again. Part of it may be the new Harry Potter book, which I'm hearing is terrific. I've only read the first two, so I don't want to pick up The Order of the Phoenix just yet. But I do want to go to the library and check out the first two for brushing up, then borrow Books 3 and 4 from my friend Sarah as soon as possible. However, during my lunch hour today I felt an overwhelming desire to stop by the local Barnes and Noble and buy Carter Beats the Devil. I've heard wonderful things about it lately from friends and acquaintances, then, yesterday at the MetroRail station, I spied a rider carrying it and was overcome by the need to read THAT book. So now I've got it in my possession and have already started it, reading the first seven pages on the walk from the Barnes and Noble to my office. Yes, it does look interesting already.

It's nice to be excited about reading again.

***********************************************


Game Night on Friday turned out well, I'm happy to say. A smaller crowd than last time, despite the higher number of RSVPs, but I didn't mind that so much because it was less crowded this time around. I welcomed, I circulated, I played Mille Bornes in a decidedly ruthless manner and Scrabble in a rather befuddled and frustrated manner and had fun. I think I was even hit on by one of the LAPC participants. All in all another successful evening. Last Saturday's turn as make-up person went so well that I'll be performing the same function for my friend this coming Saturday in Redondo Beach. And the movie and dinner with the Jill Sobule lyric-sending friend (hereon refered to as CuteNerdBoy) on Sunday went very well. As a matter of fact, the evening had a few date-like aspects to it that I was rather pleased with. I had suspected that it might, but was unwilling to admit it to myself or anyone else because CuteNerdBoy and I had previously agreed that we would like to be friends again. We'll see what happens.

I'm off until next week (a rather busy four day holiday weekend lies before me), but a hearty "Kick-Ass Fourth of July Weekend" goes out to all of you. And for those not in the U.S., have a great rest of the week and weekend!



Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? www.blogwise.com Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Listed on BlogShares Free Image Hosting at ImageShack.us

Registered!
Listed on LABlogs.com

Carol/Female/36-40. Lives in United States/California/Los Angeles/San Fernando Valley, speaks English. Spends 40% of daytime online. Uses a Normal (56k) connection.
This is my blogchalk:
United States, California, Los Angeles, San Fernando Valley, English, Carol, Female, 36-40.

Google
WWW all the fun of the fair...